Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Something a little different. BATTLESTATIONS

So I haven't been in the best of moods lately. So I haven't been too motivated to work, but I'm starting to feel a little better. so regular WIP posts and videos will resume soon. But I didn't want to leave my blog empty for a week. So I thought I'd try something a little different than usual.

I imagine everyone who builds gunpla, or any sort of model, or heck, if you even just build legos. you usually have some sort of setup or place you do it. your workstation if you will. I wanted to show mine off and show off my 'mobile workstation' because I'm not usually at home when I build gunpla.

So lets start things off with my home setup and we'll get into the rest in just a bit.



So first off, we've got my desk. If I'm at home, and building. this is where my building takes place. got a nice light overhead, with plenty of gundam markers and other stuff scattered about. it's a bit messy right now. but you get the idea. It's got most of what I need for basic construction and even some detailing.


another shot of the same desk. still messy. 


now this is my airbrush paint station. anytime I wanna paint, I peg up pieces and thin down (if it's not already thinned) my paints. and go to town. 


another thing I love about my battlestation is that both of my setups are pretty close to the TV. so I can pop in a movie and enjoy. although sometimes that can lead to distraction. WHICH IS BAD.


Now that you've seen my home setup. I'm not typically home when I'm working on gunpla. Since I work nights, and don't have internet at home I usually hang out at my moms house on my days off, so lots of my actual building gets done there. So instead of carrying handfuls of materials with me wherever i go, I've set up what I call my Mobile Workstation.


 Here it is. in all of it's glory (and mess) this box has most of the materials I need to do a straight build of any kit I'm working on.


Pictured here are my gundam realtouch markers, which i use mostly for panel lining, and my gundam paint markers (which i hardly ever use at all), Scissors for cutting bags, or cutting out dry transfers and water slides, some crappy synthetic brushes; which I don't use very often. but I figure it's better to have than to want... just in case i ever need them. Some tamiya masking tape, I don't suppose this really needs to be here because this'll likely only be used in painting. but I keep it in here just in case. Sandwich bags! if you're painting or just seperating pieces. or you stop mid build. these are indispensable. A tripod for my camera, that's self explanatory. a screwdriver, also self explanatory. My video camera, also not sure why this is in here, but it is. never know when i want to videotape something. Tape, for dry transfers mostly. thinner and brush cleaner, for detail painting. and finally my tamiya weathering master kits.


and in the little red box pictured above are my testors paints, my mr hobby cement, some paint holding stuff, a mini cutting mat, some sandpaper, hobby cutters, tweezers, x-acto knives, pin vice, panel scriber, and  a handful of other things. nothing too fancy. 


and when it's all packed up you can sit a model kit right on top and it doesnt' slip and slide around too much. 


this got out of order, so here's another shot of everything sitting out.


you can even pop little SD kits, or HG's in there nicely. 


and even your standard sized MG kits fit pretty well, so no worries about carrying too much stuff.


and a few shots of the GM Custom from what I HAVE done to it.


 First up, the head has been painted. and so far i'm completely happy with what i've done. have some touching up to do because when re-assembling I chipped the paint on the back.


the grey/black combo works well on the GM i think. and the orange visor looks really slick.


a back shot. you can see the chipped paint from where i was putting the antenna on. gonna touch that up, as well as adding another layer of orange to the back camera. 


 another shot. you can see the painted vulcan a little better from this angle.


and one last shot. so that's all i've got this time. thanks for checking my stuff out. got some big plans coming up soon I think. hopefully you guys keep following me to see what I've got in store.

another thing. sorry about the bad punctuation and stuff. it's freezing and i'm just trying to knock this post out before i get hypothermia.

See you guys next time!

2 comments: